$ is No Object Your Ultimate Amplifier for ML's...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
If money was no object, what would be your ultimate amplifier for ML speakers?

I just happened to be looking for the "Carver Silver Seven" Tubed amplifier, on line when I happened upon this thread, by our very own Wardsweb. :D
Thank you Wardsweb, as I could not find a photo of the Carver Silver Seven, which is of course long since out of production. See the photo / theread of the 'Carver Silver Seven' Tubed ampilifer:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=334

So what your ultimate amplifier?
A photo or web link would be fantastic if possible... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
NL Reference Amplifier @ $80,000 for the two pyramid monoblocks.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-36,GGLD:en&sa=N

reference.jpg

Or...

Krell MRA @ $150,000 for the pair of monoblocks.
krellmra.jpg

ME-1500, if you can find one second hand, they were only a few produced massive 2 man lift, user switchable 5 settings on the front pannel from 1 watt to 100watt true pure class A.
Will give out 220wrms per channel all day at 8ohm and drive down to an incredble half an ohm, and nearly double it's wattage at each halving of impedence all the way down to that half ohm.
And a stunning looking piece of gear. Wish I could find a picture to show you. Wish i had one.

www.rageaudio.com.au/1500.htm

Cheers George

Last edited:
Yes the Silver Sevens are "old school", big and bad. The number of tubes and the size of the transformers just reminds me of my muscle car days.

silver7.jpg

Now if I was going modern, there are so many great amps out there and the totally outragious too. The new McIntosh MC2KW tri-chassis rig is awesome and with a price to match. Yes thats a 2000 watt mono amp.

mcintoshamps.jpg

Then for shear exotic, there is Josh, the genius behind Electronluv.

electronluv.jpg

How about a direct-coupled 75TL driving a GM-100 for 15 watts of SE power, with 354 and 866 mercury-vapor rectifiers and only $60K.

electronluv_gm100.jpg

Last edited:
ARC's big tube Mono-blocks, it's scary though..... my first house thirty years ago didn't cost that much !!!

You'd have to listen while wearing sunglasses with a couple of those tube amps!

There are so many,

Digital amp: Linn Klimax Solo 500 monoblocks
Solid State: Krell Evolution One monoblocks
Vacum Tube: Conrad Johnson LP140M monoblocks

With the exception of the linn, the kind of money we are talking about would let you quit your job for a year and go into every freaking music concert you wanted, not counting on the extra time you would have to enjoy your current set up.

Have always liked the sound of ARC amps and preamps with Logans. How about a pair of the new REF 610T monoblocks?

I'm sure either of those last 2 amps make a great expresso!

Now if I was going modern, there are so many great amps out there and the totally outragious too. The new McIntosh MC2KW tri-chassis rig is awesome and with a price to match. Yes thats a 2000 watt mono amp.

mcintoshamps.jpg

I like these babies!!! :D

Then for shear exotic, there is Josh, the genius behind Electronluv.

electronluv.jpg

I hear Luke Skywalker had these in his living room??? ;)

Robin said:
I found the Kerll 'Evolution one' amplifier cost $344,500.00 (USD), It cost more than some folks homes... ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9261816/

Krell's ultimate high-end amplifier.

Cheers

-Robin

That price is for the entire HEAT system, not just the amps...expensive none the less though.

And I would update to say MOST folks homes, lol!!!

Robin said:
I found the Krell 'Evolution one' amplifier cost $344,500.00 (USD), It cost more than some folks homes... ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9261816/

Krell's ultimate high-end amplifier.

Cheers

-Robin
Two channels of amplification and two of preamplification cost $90,000. That's for 8 chassis. Four chassis are power supplies.

From all these posts, how many of you have actually HEARD the amps you are wishing for? Or is it just a wish based on price as they must sound good becuase they are expensive?

Just curious...

Happy Holidays,
Dan

For me... price. ;)

Havent heard them, will never hear them.... just nice to sort of dream about these unaffordable things.

Last edited:
Back