Finally Bought My Martin Logans and Life Was Grand........And Then

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn Yankee

Reaction score
Hey Gang, long time ML fan and Christmas 2011 finally made me a ML owner :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Short history, while serving oversees 20 + years ago I fell in love with a Yamaha M-65/C-65 Amp/Pre-Amp setup along with Infinity's efficient SM-155's and a ADC SS-325 X Sound Shaper EQ and Teac Deck. It was very loud and efficent in our wide open bay dorms. Five years ago sold the M-65 series to purchase a Yamaha RX-V2600 for HT and HDMI purposes. The 2600 never pushed the SM's like the M-65 and I regretted the sale of the amp to this day. Shortly later learned of ML but wasn't in the current budget, but swore I would own a set one day.

Come Christmas 2011, we purchased ElectroMotion ESL's, Motion 8 CC, and Motion 4 rears. Hooked everything up and live was grand !!! Eric Clapton's 24 Nights Live never sounded so clear, powerful, and beautiful !!! Then yesterday I was playing Baba O Rilley from a live "Who" Cd at decent volume when my V2600 took the long nap, and is toast.

I am pretty much set on replacing the 2600 with the RX-A3000, but I want to add an external amp for 2-Channel, loud audio playing mode. I have access to a Yamaha MX-800 which is in as-new shape, but dated (Wife loves the Red Power Meter). I am basically blind when it comes to what my ESL's will want in the way of an External Amp. I love Classic Rock with emphasis on electric guitars; loud at times and this is why I bought the ML's so I am looking for some input. Seeing how I just bought the above speakers and I am NOW buying a new receiver; there is a budget issue.

The RX-A3000 will be used with a Samsung 65" Plasma Panel, the above ML speakers in a 5.1 mode with plans to later replace the Klipsch Sub, with a ML 500 Sub. In audio mode, I use the front ESL's seperately in 2-channel mode.

Input and advise is much appreciated

Hi. Nice setup.

Regarding the poweramp, how about an Anthem A2?

225 watts per channel and stable down to 2 ohms. I auditioned one myself but I haven't decided to buy yet. The build quality is stunning. The problem with this amp is that I can't believe Anthem can do it for the money they're asking - so I'm still looking for the catch. :think:

In another thread Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-3 was recommended as well. I am going out this morning to look and listen to some A/V Receivers, and will then set my sights on a amp. I also like the Sunfire pieces, but the price would have to be nice

Just a brief side note: You should have good experience with your MX-800. That series from Yamaha is, I believe, quite under-rated by some (I would guess those without direct experience). I have used both the MX-1000, and later, MX-2000 (a real delight) with ML Ascent (i) and Summits to quite good advnatage. Never a problem or even a hiccup. Enjoy!

Len, appreciate the real world experience with the MX-1000 amp. I don't know why, but for some reason the Yamaha Amps get a bad rap. I came across this thread in my amp research and thought it was very interesting, seeing it was coming from a retired McIntosh Engineer.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/yamaha/mx-1000u/prd_116250_1583crx.aspx

After reading this thread, I located the below website. Good info for those who have Yamaha Amps

http://legendaryamps.com/latest.html

Nice links -- thanks very much. I know a little off-topic, but here one of the reviews that prompted to leap on obtaining the Yamaha CX/MX/TX/CDX 2000 Series (VERY Minty) a few years ago:

"I have an M70 and MX-2000. The MX-2000 ($4000 when new) is an entirely different design than the MX-1000, and is a scaled down version of the legendary MX-10,000 ($11000 when new). The MX-2000 is a very serious amp - almost a work of art, and was available by special order only. It only puts out 130 watts into 8 ohms, but those are some very refined watts. It's heavy at 62 pounds, pure class A MOSFET design, and all hand-made solid construction w/titanium-cherry finish. Sound is smooth and very detailed, with an enormous 3D soundstage. Beautiful to listen to, and even to look at. Consider yourself extremely lucky if you ever get your hands on one of these. The M70 is a good amp, but the MX-2000 is in another league entirely. I'm still looking for an amp to better it (and I've auditioned quite a few lately)."

Also, what is a Damn Yankee doing in Yukon, Oklahoma? Say "Hi" to Garth for me.

Also, what is a Damn Yankee doing in Yukon, Oklahoma? Say "Hi" to Garth for me.

Well the Military (AF Cop) took me from Detroit, to Oklahoma where I met my future Bride. Finished my tours in Belguim (where i bought my M-65 series) and Albuquerque and eventually ended up back in Okc. Funny you mention Garth. I am still in Law Enforcement 21 years later, and occasionally you get flagged down by someone asking for directions to the house where Garth grew up in. At the height of his career his mother had passed. I was one of a few selected for the security detail by a co-worker who actually went to school with Garth. Small world

So this afternoon I purchased a Yamaha RX-A2010 AV Receiver to replace the damaged RX-V2600. I was discussing using a second external amp with the salesman at Magnolia where I purchased my Electromotions ESL's. I mentioned my intentions of using a 2 Channel Amp and using the RX-A2010 as a Pre-Amp in a 2 channel mode when enjoying my music loud so as not to clip the receiver, or damage the speakers. He then tells me this is really not the proper way to do this, and I should have purchased the Theo's and wired them Bi-Amp fashion to achieve this.

Well fella's 5k for the speakers alone is out of my budget, that's why I passed on the Vantage speakers a few years back. Now he has me second guessing the purchase of the ESL's because they cannot be bi-wired, or bi-amped ?

Our family room is 18x16 and the AV Receiver has to fill both roles as a sound and power sourcefor our Plasma HT set-up, as well as provide for music listening purposes. This is set up in a 7.1 mode. Did I make a mistake ? Or can I not hook up the front ESL's to an external amp, and connect it to my RX-A2010 via the Pre Outs for both 7.1 listening during TV and Movies, and 2 channel for music audio purposes ? Starting to get confused. Thank you !!!

So this afternoon I purchased a Yamaha RX-A2010 AV Receiver to replace the damaged RX-V2600. I was discussing using a second external amp with the salesman at Magnolia where I purchased my Electromotions ESL's. I mentioned my intentions of using a 2 Channel Amp and using the RX-A2010 as a Pre-Amp in a 2 channel mode when enjoying my music loud so as not to clip the receiver, or damage the speakers. He then tells me this is really not the proper way to do this, and I should have purchased the Theo's and wired them Bi-Amp fashion to achieve this.

Well fella's 5k for the speakers alone is out of my budget, that's why I passed on the Vantage speakers a few years back. Now he has me second guessing the purchase of the ESL's because they cannot be bi-wired, or bi-amped ?

Our family room is 18x16 and the AV Receiver has to fill both roles as a sound and power sourcefor our Plasma HT set-up, as well as provide for music listening purposes. This is set up in a 7.1 mode. Did I make a mistake ? Or can I not hook up the front ESL's to an external amp, and connect it to my RX-A2010 via the Pre Outs for both 7.1 listening during TV and Movies, and 2 channel for music audio purposes ? Starting to get confused. Thank you !!!

I can say that you have not made a mistake. I run the ElectroMotion ESL on a Yamaha RX-A2000 and it rocks! I can stand outside my house and get to 1db on the iTouch app and hear everything verly clearly ( 30 feet from the closed frount door). The Yamaha is an exelecnet receiver and is well suited to the ESL`s. Wait until the speakers have broken in before you consider adding any additional amps. If you feel that you need the extra power, you can easily add the 2 channel amp for the frounts. But take some time to get to know your new system. Home theater will rock and 2 channel music will soar!

Congratulations on your new purchase! And have a happy new year!

I can say that you have not made a mistake. I run the ElectroMotion ESL on a Yamaha RX-A2000 and it rocks! I can stand outside my house and get to 1db on the iTouch app and hear everything verly clearly ( 30 feet from the closed frount door). The Yamaha is an exelecnet receiver and is well suited to the ESL`s. Wait until the speakers have broken in before you consider adding any additional amps. If you feel that you need the extra power, you can easily add the 2 channel amp for the frounts. But take some time to get to know your new system. Home theater will rock and 2 channel music will soar!

Congratulations on your new purchase! And have a happy new year!

Cat, thanks for your quick response. I have been hoping to hear from someone who is using a set-up similiar to ours. I am keeping in mind it will be a while before the speakers break in, and had initially left the TV on at decent volume while at work to speed up the process. Thanks again to everyone, and have a safe and blessed Happy New Year !!!

I've been using a variety of AV receivers over the years purely as a preamp/surround processors. I send the pre out signals to Parasound power amps. I swap out receivers whenever there is a new technological advance but dont necessarily buy the top of the line. I'm happy with mid priced Pioneer Elite and the like as long as it has pre outs.

In my opinion I would spend more $$ on a good multichannel or set of stereo amps and less $$ on the receiver. New features keep being added to the receivers each year so I view them as almost disposeable whereas I've been using my amps for several years.

I've been using a variety of AV receivers over the years purely as a preamp/surround processors. I send the pre out signals to Parasound power amps. I swap out receivers whenever there is a new technological advance but dont necessarily buy the top of the line. I'm happy with mid priced Pioneer Elite and the like as long as it has pre outs.

In my opinion I would spend more $$ on a good multichannel or set of stereo amps and less $$ on the receiver. New features keep being added to the receivers each year so I view them as almost disposeable whereas I've been using my amps for several years.

You are right about having the better amps for the extra power. Damn Yankee has a setup amlost identical to mine in a similar space. The Yamaha has more then enough power to present well in the small space. I suspect that if I lived in a larger space I would be jumping for an amp but given the space that it is set up in it will be more than adiquate for the current use. Then he and I can save and buy the best amp that we can afford. And the Yamaha has the preouts for just such a purpose.

Have a happy new year.

Cat, thanks for your quick response. I have been hoping to hear from someone who is using a set-up similiar to ours. I am keeping in mind it will be a while before the speakers break in, and had initially left the TV on at decent volume while at work to speed up the process. Thanks again to everyone, and have a safe and blessed Happy New Year !!!

Damn Yankee, our setups are almost identical. My living room, two channel room and home thearter (the same space) is about 20 X 16. I have really enjoyed the depth of the Yamaha with the ESL's and so have all whom enjoy music who wander into my abode and home office. Any more power and the neighbours would be aksing for me to move! Happy listening and a happy new year!

I mentioned my intentions of using a 2 Channel Amp and using the RX-A2010 as a Pre-Amp in a 2 channel mode when enjoying my music loud so as not to clip the receiver, or damage the speakers. He then tells me this is really not the proper way to do this, and I should have purchased the Theo's and wired them Bi-Amp fashion to achieve this.

I am not entirely sure that the (I'm sure well-intended) advice one receives at certain retail outlets is necessarily optimal. (See, even I can be more or less PC when I put my mind to it.) ;)

Well it's been a week or so since I picked up the new receiver, and finished re-wiring everything. I am fairly certain the speakers are placed where they need to be and life once again is Grand. I spent several hours on Friday evening introducing my neighbors to my new friends :rocker::rocker::rocker: After shuffling through numerous Cd's, I slid in my "Open Range" DVD and jacked up the volume during the gun battle in town at the end of the movie. All I can say is I have wathced this movie several times, and the new speakers along with the RX-A2010 brings out sounds, and clarity I have never ever heard. Watching the NFL Playoff's has been a treat as well. Thanks again for everyones help !!!

Well it's been a week or so since I picked up the new receiver, and finished re-wiring everything. I am fairly certain the speakers are placed where they need to be and life once again is Grand. I spent several hours on Friday evening introducing my neighbors to my new friends :rocker::rocker::rocker: After shuffling through numerous Cd's, I slid in my "Open Range" DVD and jacked up the volume during the gun battle in town at the end of the movie. All I can say is I have wathced this movie several times, and the new speakers along with the RX-A2010 brings out sounds, and clarity I have never ever heard. Watching the NFL Playoff's has been a treat as well. Thanks again for everyones help !!!

Glad to have helped! Enjoy the sound!

Back