The love that dare not speak its name ....Magnepan 3.7 ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PartTimeJedi

The love that dare not speak it's name ....Magnepan 3.7 ?

Any of you heard the 3.7, how do you rate them versus ML?

Last edited:
Not "all things MartinLogan!"... I wouldn’t trade my Summit Xs for them.

Last edited:
In January of this year I spent a little more than an hour with the 3.7's at T.H.E. Show here in Las Vegas. Lucky me I get to spend 4 days each year roaming the halls of CES and T.H.E. Show. Interestingly enough they were powered with my current and your future amps the Bryston 28B-SST^2. I enjoyed the demo very much (must have been all that Bryston power). See the final picture in the link provided. I have ML CLX's as my mains so the spacial characteristics of the Maggies was no surprise but the room filling solid sound was especially given the price. However, there was something missing. Oh yes they are not ML's but they are worthy of a listen.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/ces2011/ces2011_bos_magnepan.htm

Regards,
Gary

I have heard the 3.7 at a dealer and think that, given careful positioning, it can be a great speaker. Whether or not it is to your taste, is a different matter. Before the 3.7 was introduced, I purchased the 1.7 (after considering price and other matters) and am quite happy with it. This was after a good listen at a dealer that sold both models.

I have been a Magnepan man from 1975 to present & have owned a number of stats.
The new .7 issues are more cohearent between the bottoms & tops but alot of folks are getting rid of their 1.7's almost as fast as they got them.
I feel the new series still needs same tweaking.
New as a owner to ML but not as a hearer.
I like the Maggie image but compared to ML they seem alittle slugish with a certain romanticness somewhere in the middle.
I am not saying its a bad product, but the fact that the ML's are just about field serviceable gives them a big plus.
It's not fun sending a pair of 20.1's back to the cold state when something happens.

Only an opinion Bill

Last edited:
Well if you can listen to both, you should. There aren't many 1.7's for sale and many of those are because people are updating to 3.7's.

Any large speaker such as the older ML's and Maggies are difficult to set up. Additionally, Maggies and the older ML's aren't amplifier friendly. You need a good amp to drive them properly.

Completely agree I have the 1.6's here now also
A few other classes of amps which I have to find time to mess with.
As of this point the BC- M 300's are doing fine
Thanx,
Bill

I currently own 20.1s. My previous speakers have been Summit, Prodigy and Quest. In my opinion the 20.1s far outperform all of these Martin Logans. They may not have quite the bass slam but the image size, detail and sheer realism has to be heard to be believed. I would also say that the 20.1s are not lacking in the bass, they just have a different bass than that of a box speaker. I certainly would not put a sub into the system.

Just my opinion, but I have had all of the above speakers through my system in the past 4 years.

I do agree though that serious amplification is required. I have a Gryphon DM100 which really makes the speakers excel.

I guess it's a matter of taste, everybody's ear brain is different.
I don't even have symmetric ear canals according to my doctor.
I think it's those parameters, besides rooms that make comparing audio a nutty thing.
But some technology's are faster than others.

It was actually a post on this site which got me to go give a listen to the 1.7s and 3.7s.
I've since replaced my 1.6s and 3.6s with the newer versions and couldn't be happier. They're both great speakers.
To answer the original question, I have NOT compared the .7s with the new Martin Logans but plan on doing so later on this Summer at the dealer in Deleware.

Maggie 3.7s

Any of you heard the 3.7, how do you rate them versus ML?

I heard these speakers at length in T.H.E. Show in Las Vegas at this year's CES. I thought they were substantially better than their predecessors across the bandwidth. The bass would be helped by the addition of an appropriately matched sub. Imaging was excellent and they seemed a good match for the Bryston electronics.

I heard these speakers at length in T.H.E. Show in Las Vegas at this year's CES. I thought they were substantially better than their predecessors across the bandwidth. The bass would be helped by the addition of an appropriately matched sub. Imaging was excellent and they seemed a good match for the Bryston electronics.

Having not heard them (as pretty much impossible in the UK), my perception is they would have good mid-bass punch and may need a sub to get you the heft for down below? As an example to compare against - I spent hours with the CLX but realised I would only be able to live with them if they had subs - so similar scenario with 3.7 I assume. Thanks

Last edited:
As an update, yesterday I paid a deposit on a pair of 3.7s in black sock/black oak. Should have them within 8 weeks. I will post my views (compared to ML Quests which I have) after some listening with Bryston 28's (having traded in my Ayre MXR's for Bryston) also due in, will need to let both run-in of course. Anyhow, thanks for input as always.

Last edited:
As an update, yesterday I bought a pair of 3.7s in black sock/black oak. Should have them within 8 weeks. I will post my views (compared to ML Quests which I have) after some listening with Bryston 28's (having traded in my Ayre MXR's for Bryston) also due in, will need to let both run-in of course. Anyhow, thanks for input as always.

If you are ever around Bristol way, then pop round for a listen to my recently restored Apogee Duetta Signatures. They kick butt in a manner a full range ESL can't.

As an update, yesterday I bought a pair of 3.7s in black sock/black oak. Should have them within 8 weeks. I will post my views (compared to ML Quests which I have) after some listening with Bryston 28's (having traded in my Ayre MXR's for Bryston) also due in, will need to let both run-in of course. Anyhow, thanks for input as always.

I always feel I hear alot more detail with constant charge over complete area than magnets & mylar and wire/tinsel/ribbon
I have never heard any massless drivers or signal to air/gas drivers.
But I am sure they would excel except at lower freqs.
Hope your maggies come faster & keep us posted. :cool:

Bill

If you are ever around Bristol way, then pop round for a listen to my recently restored Apogee Duetta Signatures. They kick butt in a manner a full range ESL can't.

That's a great offer, much appreciated, I have actually never heard Apogees, I came close to buying a pair of Divas last year but the guy wanted too much based on my perception (but then again I could have been wrong as I had not heard the speaker)

I always feel I hear alot more detail with constant charge over complete area than magnets & mylar and wire/tinsel/ribbon
I have never heard any massless drivers or signal to air/gas drivers.
But I am sure they would excel except at lower freqs.
Hope your maggies come faster & keep us posted. :cool:

Bill

beek, your right on all fronts re the descriptions, I spent 6 years with Analysis Omega panels, my perception (but not reality) as I have never heard Maggies is that the Maggie maybe inbetween the Omegas and ML presentation. I know I could live with old style MLs for a long time to come so buying the Maggies is more an exercise in knowledge for myself really as what a panel-sound does for me is give me that tall wide wall of sound that gets my heart up there (Maggies may or may not do that), it's one of the reasons I moved from SL3s to Quests (taller and wider sound field). The Analysis Omega's fell down on the bass side in a major way so I definitely know the same risk is there with the Maggies. I suppose what I want to know for myself is, is there enough of everything else there that would make me look at some subs (maybe REL B2's as have bal inputs) etc for them so I could live with the package. I shall see and share thoughts.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think we all should never get rid of great drivers like in this discussion & just keep them All.
I spent time with the biggest Apogees (studio grand? &. Subs) quad amped with mono Krells, it was very impressive.

beek, your right on all fronts re the descriptions, I spent 6 years with Analysis Omega panels, my perception (but not reality) as I have never heard Maggies is that the Maggie maybe inbetween the Omegas and ML presentation. I know I could live with old style MLs for a long time to come so buying the Maggies is more an exercise in knowledge for myself really as what a panel-sound does for me is give me that tall wide wall of sound that gets my heart up there (Maggies may or may not do that), it's one of the reasons I moved from SL3s to Quests (taller and wider sound field). The Analysis Omega's fell down on the bass side in a major way so I definitely know the same risk is there with the Maggies. I suppose what I want to know for myself is, is there enough of everything else there that would make me look at some subs (maybe REL B2's as have bal inputs) etc for them so I could live with the package. I shall see and share thoughts.

Heard the Omegas twice in different locations reasonably recently. I will testify the Duetta bass panel has more balls than the Omega. They are implemented differently, though.

With NAT Audio Transmitter amps, and the associated tube power supply, the Omegas did occasionally do great things, IMHO. Best system at Bristol Hi-Fi show this year? Maybe...

Sometimes I think we all should never get rid of great drivers like in this discussion & just keep them All.
I spent time with the biggest Apogees (studio grand? &. Subs) quad amped with mono Krells, it was very impressive.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Respect. And a little jealous you had the opportunity.

Back