Sequel II vs Request

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclone

Reaction score
Does any one have experience with both of these speakers if so can they explain the difference in sonic qualities between them?

cyclone said:
Does any one have experience with both of these speakers if so can they explain the difference in sonic qualities between them?

I have experience with the SL3 and Request. The Sequel is the predecessor to the SL3. The Request is a much more dyanmic speaker. Vocals have more body and the low-end is much more significant. I used the SL3's and Requests in a large room, about 35'x25' and the Requests were the only ones that were able to really fill the room.

SL3 vs Sequel, the SL3 is supposed to have better woofer integration, but I can't confirm that.

For comparison, they guy I got my ReQuests from upgraded to Odysseys. He said that the Odysseys were just a hair clearer, and had tighter bass, but overall weren't much different. The ReQuest is really a screaming deal in the used market.

After having original Sequels for 17 years, I bought a pair of used reQuests over a year ago. HUGE difference in integration of bass and ESL. It's very seamless with the reQuest.

The panels of the reQuests are monsterous compared to the Sequels, so the soundstage is alot bigger. Sound is richer, fuller and the "sweet spot" is alot wider. Beware however that because of their sheer size, the reQuests really need a big room and proper placement (ie room behind them) to make them shine.

I'll also agree with jjcarr that they are the biggest bang for the buck in the used market.

Last edited:
Sounds just like you were comparing a Mercedes SLK to an SL!
The SLK will surely please you, it's a great convertible ,but the SL's overall performance is something else, so is the price, and maybe it won't fit into your garage !

I've owned sequels for about 8 years, I really love them.Before buying, I listened to both Sequels and Quests (the reQuests weren't born yet!), and there was,of course, a huge difference in terms of precision, definition, realism (specially with voices), spacing...

But as TomDac said, the reQuests need a lot of space and will probably sound boomy in a small room because of bass extension, far superior to the Sequel's.

Back