Turntable isolation help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Ive finally got my system setup the way I want in my new home, just installed the Atom-12 Bass trap system and setup my new VTI audio stand ( I know its a cheap one). Since I put my ClearAudio Level 2 TT on this stand I cannot get the isolation needed so it does not vibrate or humm once I get past 3 on the volume. I just put an acrylic isolator with sikes under it, but no change. Any opinions or tips would be much appreciated. thanks!

Pete, you've got a very nice system. I love the turntable. Are the VTI stands the stands pictured in your system photo? For the vibration problem...Is the stand solid and level? Is it possible to add some sand to the stand supports (legs) to help deaden it? Is it spiked to the floor? Have you tried putting a soft mouse pad beneath the turntable motor? For the hum problem...Have you tried turning the volume up without playing a record, but the turntable is spinning, to see if you still have a hum? You may have a proximity problem to another piece of gear. Be sure to ground the turntable and verify the leads to the cartridge are secure.
Company just arrived, so I have to sign off now. Good luck fixing the issues!

Is your system still set up as shownin your system thread? If so, I think the first thiing your should try is moving your TT further away form your speakers. Being as cloase as they look in the picture is just *begging* for trouble...

Pete, you've got a very nice system. I love the turntable. Are the VTI stands the stands pictured in your system photo? For the vibration problem...Is the stand solid and level? Is it possible to add some sand to the stand supports (legs) to help deaden it? Is it spiked to the floor? Have you tried putting a soft mouse pad beneath the turntable motor? For the hum problem...Have you tried turning the volume up without playing a record, but the turntable is spinning, to see if you still have a hum? You may have a proximity problem to another piece of gear. Be sure to ground the turntable and verify the leads to the cartridge are secure.
Company just arrived, so I have to sign off now. Good luck fixing the issues!

Thanks. Yes the picture is current of my setup. The stand is solid and level and on spikes. I have not tried anything yet, I will try some of these ideas tomorrow! Yes I can put the volume up with no music playing and there is no noise at all only when the music is playing it starts to vibrate the table and then the hum and noise happens. I had this same setup at my last house but my TT was on solid oak wood, thats the difference here. My TT was as close to these speakers before without any issue. I think its the stands.

Bernard, im all ears on wall mounting? what do you have in mind?

Acoustic Sounds sells a wall-mount shelf made by Target, for about $169. It is not as well-made as the Target one I used to have (which was cantilevered), but should do the job fine.

For considerably more money there is one available on Audiogon, made by a Steve Blinn; do a search on blinn on audiogon. Sorry, posting audiogon links is not allowed here.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I replaced he acrylic platform with 2" Oak and it has helped allot! It now takes much more volume to make it hum or vibrate so work still needs to be done. So I might try and put some wood underneath the stand as well.?

Pete,

Given the small size of your room and lack of any 'corner bass treatments' I wouldn't be too surprised that some 'standing wave' issues are part of the problem as well.

TT Isolation Issues

Thanks. Yes the picture is current of my setup. The stand is solid and level and on spikes. I have not tried anything yet, I will try some of these ideas tomorrow! Yes I can put the volume up with no music playing and there is no noise at all only when the music is playing it starts to vibrate the table and then the hum and noise happens. I had this same setup at my last house but my TT was on solid oak wood, thats the difference here. My TT was as close to these speakers before without any issue. I think its the stands.

My turntables are about as close to my CLXs as yours is to your speakers. I use a VPI TT stand on spikes and filled with shot. In addition, I have Black Diamond Racing shelves on the stand on which the TT is then placed. Granted this may be overkill, but I can play music at near concert hall levels and get no feedback, tracking or vibration at all. There are many other solutions to your problem. But I think you need to get you TT higher from the floor and get a better stand.

I agree, my stand is cheap but is what I have for the moment. I will try several other tips to remove the vibration/standing waves until I buy a new stand setup. I installed the Auralex bass trap system over the weekend and this has helped a bunch in overall sound. Also look at my back wall and tell me if I need more sound traps next to my listening chair. All opinions are welcomed and appreciated! cheers---Pete

Attachments

• basstraps1.jpg
    basstraps1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 947
  • basstraps2.jpg
    basstraps2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 688
Pete,

if $$ allow, extend your corner bass trapping all the way to the floor......and yes it will make a difference

Yes, $$'s do allow. But before i spend the $$ is there such a thing as too much trapping? Just curious. Ive read all kinds of stuff. Thanks!

Ok, heres the update. I have extended the bass traps an additional 4ft per wall and it has helped a bunch! thanks again guys for the opinions! more is always appreciated :)

Attachments

• basstraps_full1.jpg
    basstraps_full1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 793
  • basstraps_full2.jpg
    basstraps_full2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 525
Back