Experience with Pro-Ject Tube Box II Phono Preamp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone had the chance to use or hear this phono pre-amp Pro-Ject Tube Box II Phono Preamp with or without ML speakers? If so what your findings likes/dislikes?

fairly thin sound due to the cheapo power supply...

Are you looking new or used, what's your budget? It's not bad for the 5-600 retail price, but you won't get a ton of the "tube magic" with this one.

Hey Tone,
Well Im looking to get a phono pre by Late August early September, my budget at the moment is about $600, but by September could be $1k or a little more. What do you have for suggestions?
What if this was connected to the Ayon Triton?

Last edited:
If you can go around a thousand bucks, I'd suggest a used ARC PH3 or PH3SE (might go closer to 1200).

The other one I really like for the money is the Lehmann Black Cube SE, this is about a thousand bucks.

Another great phono pre you can probably pick up used for about 8-900 is the JLTI. And later you can upgrade it with a bigger power supply if you want to take analog further.

The Sutherland P3HD isn't bad either. Battery powered, I think right around 1200.

What are you using for table and cartridge? What kind of overall sound would you like to achieve? Might be able to suggest a few more...

if you are looking to spend around $1k and don't mind getting something used...

You may also want to consider the ASR Mini Basis.
Now that the Mini Basis Exclusive is out, there are some out in the used market at good prices. Add an excellent power cord and you have a phono stage that easily embarasses units that sell in the $$3-$5k range.

Hey Tone,
Well Im looking to get a phono pre by Late August early September, my budget at the moment is about $600, but by September could be $1k or a little more. What do you have for suggestions?
What if this was connected to the Ayon Triton?

There you go with the hype again.

However, the ASR Mini Basis is an excellent little preamp. They've got limited distribution in the US, but if you can find one, it's a great deal new or used.

If you do purchase a used one, check with the importer or the factory, they've made a few changes in the op amps used between the older models and the current one. It's a pretty easy (and inexpensive) to be upgraded to the latest version.

Though we're starting to get out of your price point, the AQVOX 2ce is also very good. Might be able to find a used one of those for around $900.

thanks guys,

Also to consider is size, my room is small and already has big gear, are some of these very large? I know i have seen some of the ARC Phono pre and they look like full on sized gear? Just a thought but not a deal breaker! $1200 will probably be my price point in September.

OK. I will quantify...

I chose the ASR Mini-Basis with "SQ" chip set and Tel Wire PowerCord over:

PS Audio GCPH
Audio Research PH3SE
Melos 333R6 Phono
Sutherland PhD
Pass Labs Aleph Ono

Cartridges used:
Accuphase AC-3 (.2mv)
Technics 305MCmk3 (.1mv)
Benz Ruby 3H (.7mv)
Technics 205cmkIII (2.0 mv)

I don't hype.

Cheers,

There you go with the hype again.

However, the ASR Mini Basis is an excellent little preamp. They've got limited distribution in the US, but if you can find one, it's a great deal new or used.

If you do purchase a used one, check with the importer or the factory, they've made a few changes in the op amps used between the older models and the current one. It's a pretty easy (and inexpensive) to be upgraded to the latest version.

Though we're starting to get out of your price point, the AQVOX 2ce is also very good. Might be able to find a used one of those for around $900.

You may also want to consider the ASR Mini Basis.
Now that the Mini Basis Exclusive is out, there are some out in the used market at good prices. Add an excellent power cord and you have a phono stage that easily embarasses units that sell in the $$3-$5k range.

The ASR Basis Mini with the power cord you mention is $2500. The other preamps on your list are in the $1500-3000 range, so you haven't really listed a $5000 preamp that is "easily embarrassed" by the Basis.

The PS audio phono stage is 1500, the ARC was $3000 new, can be had for 1000 bucks these days. The Sutherland is also 3k and the Pass Labs is a 12 year old design.

Three of the cartridges you use aren't available anymore, so are useless as reference components because no one can just go listen to those products. I.E. no one else can duplicate your results. So again, what it boils down to is overall taste and system synergy. Because you preferred the Basis, doesn't mean it's "better" than comparably priced units.

You're suggesting what you own over anything else, which kind of shows a lack of experience. Every one of those preamps on that list is halfway decent, and all will work well with a handful of cartridges, some better than others. That's the tough part to figure out.

That being said, the Basis mini is an excellent preamplifier, especially if you only need one phono input and don't need to change gain and/or loading sections often and it features quite a bit of technology from the full sized ASR phono preamplifier. I've owned both and would highly suggest them. Excellent performance at the price point, definitely. Embarrasses $5000 phono stages, sorry, not quite.

What are you using for table and cartridge? What kind of overall sound would you like to achieve? Might be able to suggest a few more...

I am using a Clearaudio Champion Level 2 TT with graham robin tonearm & Clearaudio Aurum Beta Mk2 cart. Im a big vinyl fan with thousands of LP's and cd's, I prefer that warmer sound over all.

Latest posts

Back