Bossa Nova Collection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satch

Reaction score
As I mentioned on the Sunday Morning Music thread, I was given a collection of about 300 vinyl albums. The person (now deceased) that owned the collection had a taste for late '50's to mid '60's jazz and classical music as well as some pop music of that era.

This collection included a good many records of the Bossa Nova style of jazz that was being introduced to the U.S. from Brazil by artists like Stan Getz.

I have, within the last year or two acquired a taste for the Bossa Nova style of music and now I'm starting to get a pretty decent collection.

So I'll ask; What are your favorite Bossa Nova albums or artists?

Hey Bernard,

I dug this gem out of the pile... "Jazz Samba Encore!" Stan Getz & Luiz Bonfa featuring Maria Toledo. Has the Olga Albizu cover painting, mostly of a blue hue and a cool b&w liner photo by Jim Marshall. Recorded N.Y.C., Feb. 1963.

Likey... :)

I should see if I can find it on CD; vinyl would be difficult, I'm sure.

I am very VERY partial to female vocals, and here is a list of Bossa Nova singers I like (they also do other stuff, though):

Astrud Gilberto (no surprise)
Ana Caram
Rosa Passos
Ana Gazzola
Eliane Elias

There are non-Brazilians who attempt to sing in Portuguese, but they just don't get the diction right; listen to Karine Allyson for example.

Satch, if you can lay your hands on it, get the movie "Gabriela" with Sonia Braga and Marcello Mastroianni. Great soundtrack. I think Jobim did part of it.

Laurindo Almeida is an excellent South American guitarist. Although he plays mostly jazz, his classical guitar pieces are also extremely emotionally involving. I'd recommend both. I'm not sure about the current availability of his work on new vinyl, but a lot of it is available used.

Had a chance last night to listen to the Rosa passos & Ron Carter CD " Entre Amigos" :D Fantastic!

Bernard, although I don't understand Portuguese, I think I can understand why you prefer somebody like Rosa Passos singing in her native language. Such a musical and romantic language.

Even though Ron Carter is a North American, his upright bass lines on this album really seem to capture that Brazilian magic.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Satch, I recently discovered a new singer I really like. Not Bossa Nova, but her name is Amanda Martinez (Mexican-Canadian), and she is appearing live this Sunday at a free concert at the Montreal Jazz Festival. Time for a 2-hour road trip.

Ray, she did two shows, which I really enjoyed, except that they were short at 50 minutes each, and the amplification was not the greatest. Her voice did not sound as husky as I am used to. Besides the Spanish stuff she sang one Bossa Nova number in Portuguese and did a good job of it; a definite first.

You guys should plan on attending the Montreal Jazz Festival next year; it ends tomorrow, so too late for this year. There are always some Jazz greats there.

Ray, I was recently captivated by an incredibly beautiful new song, sung in Spanish, called "Mother's Blessing". Surprisingly, it's sung by a Sikh singer who normally does mostly sacred stuff. My wife bought the CD, and I don't care for the rest of it, apart from this one song. Check it out on YouTube.

Hey Bernard,

I dug this gem out of the pile... "Jazz Samba Encore!" Stan Getz & Luiz Bonfa featuring Maria Toledo. Has the Olga Albizu cover painting, mostly of a blue hue and a cool b&w liner photo by Jim Marshall. Recorded N.Y.C., Feb. 1963.

Likey... :)
Ray, I finally got the CD delivered last week. You're right, it's a great album. Really enjoy Maria Toledo's voice. I have most of the stuff, but done by other people.

I recently bought a CD called "Little Latin Bar" by Lila Mayi. Some new songs and some old, in Spanish (one on Portuguese), done very nicely.

Latest posts

Back