The ARC REF 2 Phono is here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Just got this beauty yesterday morning. Fortunately, the kind folks at ARC sent me one that had been to another reviewer, so I didn't have to spend 500 hours breaking it in!

We'll have a full review in issue 31 (Mid Aug....)

But I can easily say this is the most outstanding phono stage I've heard even after a full day of playing records. I think I did about 12 hours yesterday and am at hour four today!

Attachments

• ref.jpg
    ref.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 204
Looking forward to the review.

BTW it looks like the amp does not have enough breathing room - I like LOTS of space above my tube equipment.

Looking forward to the review.

BTW it looks like the amp does not have enough breathing room - I like LOTS of space above my tube equipment.

I asked ARC and they said 1/2" was ok. As soon as this issue is done, I'm taking the rack apart and reassembling so that I have two more inches on top to be safer long term.

Alive at Five, I guarantee you will be very happy with the REF! I'm definitely keeping this one after
the review is over.

I asked ARC and they said 1/2" was ok. As soon as this issue is done, I'm taking the rack apart and reassembling so that I have two more inches on top to be safer long term.
I'm really amazed at ARC saying 1/2". I normally allow several inches.

I'm really amazed at ARC saying 1/2". I normally allow several inches.

Well, it's not a big power amp and there is a lot of space inside the case, to give the tubes a lot of room to breath. Where my PH3SE has the case cover right at the top of the tubes, there is about 2 1/2" from the top of the tubes to the top of the case.

Either way, before I've used it too much I'll move the shelves just to be safe.

The angle kind of looks wacky too. I put a tape measure up there and I actually have about an inch and a quarter.

How does it compare to the Boulder 1008?

Having just had the Boulder here, I like the ARC a lot better. The Boulder is fantastic, but the ARC is just way more realistic sounding, it just is the most three dimensional phono pre I've ever heard. This really is a special piece of gear indeed.

This really is a special piece of gear indeed.

Not what I needed to hear .... LOL !!! seriously though that is good to hear, maybe someday down the road I'll find a nice one on the 'Gon !

Seth, good luck with yours once you have it in your set-up !

Back