New tubes - or better room?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hey all -- I am getting ready for the next mini upgrade. I have a cary slp98p with the stock chinese tubes (which I think sounds pretty good - but have been told that there is ....so much more to be had with new tubes)... and I have a fairly untreated room. I recently got the tv out of the way - and have my odysseys about 5 feet off the front wall. I think the room sounds pretty good... but I am sure would sound better with some sort of absorption....

I figure either upgrade will cost about the same if I go the GIK route. Any opinions? thanks tim.

Timm,

hands down take care of the 'accoustics' first, for a properly treated room will be godsend regardless of what tubes you're running.

I'm with Dave, Tim. To the extent that you're able, start with bass traps in the front corners and absorbtion of the backwave and first sidewall reflections. You'll be amazed at the improvement - far more than any tube roll.

That makes sense. I have been looking at the four inch GIK panels. From a quality vs cost ratio they appear to be pretty good. I think four of them cost close to 300 or so.

Acoustimac.com

You might want to consider these guys as well , I have some of their panels and think the quality is fine as well as the price

I agree, go with room treatments!
I agree fully! Your taste in tubes, amps, and all other electronics will vary over the yrs, but the room will be a one time upgrade. Until you treat your room you never really know what your current kit even sounds like, let alone the upgrades.

Ok -since we have gone here - is there any reason not to get all 4" thick panels that handle the lower frequencies as well? Any negatives to that vs getting 2 - 2" and 2 -4" panels? Right now I'm pretty stuck on 4 panels - and treating the front wall....

timm,

for treating the front wall (particularly directly behind the main speakers), the most important thing (in my opinion) is to find a treatment panel that absorbs pretty evenly throughout the frequency band that MartinLogan panels emit sound; that is, . . . from about 250 Hz. all the way up to 20,000 hz. Some acoustic panels are reflective at higher frequencies, and you don't want that. I use a real traps HF mini trap, mounted four inches off the wall, behind each of my Summits. But there are lots of options, obviously.

thanks Rich -- I recall you posting before - I do believe about consistency with panels across the front wall?... In other words, they should all be similar to get a consistent presentation.... that seems to make sense ....

Hey all -- I am getting ready for the next mini upgrade. I have a cary slp98p with the stock chinese tubes (which I think sounds pretty good - but have been told that there is ....so much more to be had with new tubes)... and I have a fairly untreated room. I recently got the tv out of the way - and have my odysseys about 5 feet off the front wall. I think the room sounds pretty good... but I am sure would sound better with some sort of absorption....

I figure either upgrade will cost about the same if I go the GIK route. Any opinions? thanks tim.

My first suggestion would be to find a way to get the warden to stop yelling "turn it down!" during critical listening. I guess this would qualify as tuning the room. Maybe you could get her some of those noise cancelling headsets from Bose lol !

Seriously, you strike me as the kind of guy who will do both eventually. I agree with the others who said getting the room dynamics optimized will serve you well no matter what .

When you get done with that, let us know when you get the new tubes:ROFL:

Bing:afro:

Hey Tim,

I did room treatments first (mostly Real Traps) but when I started rolling tubes in my Cary SLP-98 P, I noticed more Micro detail. I recently bought a set of Nordost Quasar Points (4) and set the SLP on those and my vinyl really seemed to benefit from the resonance control.

Yeah, get the room treatments first, then give Kevin at Upscale Audio a call and he can set you up with some great tubes.

Ray

Think about some bass traps too. The other stuff was great, but I was the most impressed by the effect I got in my room with the traps in place.

Thanks for the input guys. I am thinking about starting with 4 of the GIK 244 panels. But that could change. My sons friends that are music majors heard about the room treatments and their response was 'uhhhh this sounds serious - when can we come over?'. My plan could expand to a 6" bass trap they sell as well. The 244s are 4" thick and are supposed to absorb some of the lower frequencies (think around 125hz) the 6" panel absorbs down in the double digit frequencies.

I have my acoustic bass, electric bass, electric guitars, amps, etc. in the same room as the stereo (my living room) and I can play along with the stereo or have friends over for a jam. The treated room works great for all of the above.

It's funny how many serious musicians don't think about having a good stereo system.

It's funny how many serious musicians don't think about having a good stereo system.
I read an article about that in an audio magazine some years ago. A musician they interviewed said that he could hear the instruments in his head, and did not need a good stereo system. I thought it was strange. They did make the same comment as you.

I have my acoustic bass, electric bass, electric guitars, amps, etc. in the same room as the stereo (my living room) and I can play along with the stereo or have friends over for a jam. The treated room works great for all of the above.

well, my son wants to attend a music school in Boston - Berklee. (Anyone want to contribute for the good of music??? - it is expensive!!) He really likes jazz and has taken to jazz guitar. The kid has 'joeyitis' with guitar equipment... I - as are all of us - am on the lunatic fringe with my stereo equipment - and I think he has probably learned some of this from me. (Although there is no way I can compete with some of you guys...People considering multiple Gothams???? hahaha....that is funny...) But, I am sure he will be looking at tube equipment for his future stereo since one of his amps is currently a monster tube amp....

Get this - next year, his senior year - the marching band is going to do a set from Journey (yeah....I know)...and he is going to play guitar with the marching band... How cool is that?

Jeez - I just hijacked my own thread.... Time for gratuitous question to get back on track: You think the 6" thick GIK bass trap would be a worthy addition with the 4 - 4" 244s?

Hijack alert!!!

Guitar in a marching band! With wireless it would be easier than a tuba.

I just remembered why musicians don't have good stereo systems, they're musicians... They can't afford a good stereo system. That's like the old joke, "What's a guitar player without a girlfriend... Homeless" j/k :)

Oh yeah, put those 6" traps in the corners. Corners are very important.

Gonna put on some Kenny Burell now.

Satch

Hijack alert!!!
I just remembered why musicians don't have good stereo systems, they're musicians... They can't afford a good stereo system. That's like the old joke, "What's a guitar player without a girlfriend... Homeless" j/k :)
Satch
Thats exactly what went through my mind as I read your previous post!

I hang with a bunch of musicians, and this is and old joke: How do you know a real working musician stay at your house? He is still sleeping on your couch a week later.

Acoustics is number one priority

See my post on ASC tube traps; great acoustics gives one the most dramatic effect on the sound. I rather own low cost equipment with great acoustics than state of the art equipment in a bad acoustical environment. Best Regards, Bob (rasmaudio)

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back