Original Linn LP12 or new generation table?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclone

Reaction score
I have an all original Linn LP12 I bought back in 1978 that has a Formula 4 arm with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. My question is would a new generation table like a VPI Scout (that's about the limit I'd want to spend) be a step up, sideways or down?

If you like the basic sonic characteristics of your linn, you probably won't like a Scout.....

I've never heard a Linn, so I can't comment on that. I can only say that a Scout just sounds like music to my ears. Surely, there must be some way you can go listen to one?

I have owned probably a dozen different Linn LP12 tables and a couple of VPI Scouts. I agree with Jeff, they are totally different in sound. You could always take the money you were going to spend on the Scout and update your Linn. Maybe a new arm/cart and there are multiple LP12 updates from Linn that have happened since you bought yours.

If you like the basic sonic characteristics of your linn, you probably won't like a Scout.....

Agreed. However, the OP should probably try to audition a Scout (and any other options) before parting with his hard-earned shekels.

So for the few of us who have heard neither. Would someone like to charachterize the sound of both tables?

So for the few of us who have heard neither. Would someone like to charachterize the sound of both tables?

The only thing I have to compare it to would be my CD and SACD players. I read how LPs are so superior, in my system that isn't even close to being so which is making me think I may be missing something.

Back