Must have setup tool

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOUNTAIN

Reaction score
Must have setup tool!!!!

I just borrowed a Fozgometer from my dealer and it worked great!!! Here is a link: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FOSARM

Very easy to use and really dials in the azimuth setting by removing the guess work. Assuming that your arm allows for such an adjustment, this tool can be extremely helpful and claims to be accurate. It made a fairly big difference for me. I would say this is a must have if you can swing the extra money, especially if you have spent mega bucks on your cart. This will allow you to get maximum channel separation and also checks channel balance of the cart. Of course you will need a test record that contains a 1khz signal for left and then right channels, but once you have these then setup is a breeze. I do however wonder how this compares to the Feickert adjust+ program that also helps you adjust azimuth amongst other features. Does anyone know if one is more accurate than the other or have used both to compare? That would be an interesting show down!:rocker:

Glen

Attachments

• afosfarm.jpg
    afosfarm.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
I just read at another audio site that Tonepub will be doing a review of the Fozgometer in his next issue:eek:. Can't wait for that to come out!!:drool: It will be interesting to see if Jeff likes it or if it is just another gimick. Although my experience so far has been very positive with the fozgometer(what a fun word!:D). Michael Fremer also recommended it at a vinyl setup show that I attended a couple of weeks ago along with the Feickert adjust+ program. I wish now that I had asked him some more questions for a comparison between the two. Jeff any comments so far about what you are thinking concerning the fozgometer?

Glen

Last edited:
They must have a glitch in the software that tallies up the Kudos count because RemMIDI has 93 and JonFo has 72. IRemMIDI system does not even come close in comparison to JonFo's system in my opinion.

They must have a glitch in the software that tallies up the Kudos count because RemMIDI has 93 and JonFo has 72. IRemMIDI system does not even come close in comparison to JonFo's system in my opinion.

I agree that Jonathan's system is awesome, but I think you posted in the wrong thread.:D

Glen

The Fosgometer is great.

New issue will be out April 4, but to summarize, the Fosgometer saves a lot of time setting azimuth, thanks to a small phono preamp built in, so you can just plug your phono leads into the FG and go. Along with a test record that has 1000hz signals in right only and left only channels, you can set this part of your turntable up very accurately in a couple of minutes.

I use the Acoustic Sounds test record for this, with excellent luck. I used to come out of my preamplifier's output with some RCA's that I had one end stripped, so I could attach to my multimeter's probes.

The Fosgometer doesn't do anything you can't do with a test record and multimeter, it just does it a lot easier and a lot faster.

I think for the average user who only has one turntable and one cartridge, it might be more than you want to spend, kind of like a good digital stylus tracking force gauge.

But, if you have multiple arms/tables or have a table (like the SME 309) with removable headshells and swap cartridges on a regular, this is a tool that will make your life a lot easier.

Thanks Jeff! I look forward to your review in the next issue. Hopefully local dealers who sell turntables will purchase one of these so they can set the azimuth correctly or at least let the customer borrow/rent the unit as in my case. (BTW he let me borrow it for the weekend) It's nice to have an objective guide to setup your cartridge and this is just one more tool like a protractor that provides this service.

Glen

Jeff, one thing I would like to see in your review is whether you have to make dramatic changes after first setting the azimuth by eye.

Jeff, one thing I would like to see in your review is whether you have to make dramatic changes after first setting the azimuth by eye.

My dealer had to make a fairly significant change from what appeared to be level on a VPI Classic sporting a Karat 17d3. In my case though the Dynavector Te Kaitora appears to be exactly level when setup properly using the fozgometer. The only caveat is that a very small change in azimuth changes the results you get on the meter leaving me to believe that doing it by eye got me close but using the meter got me dead on. (Or at least closer to the ideal setting.) I hope to do some more experimenting at the store to see how other cartridges turn out.

How much does it cost Jeff?

Maybe a few of us die hard analog-o-philes (or is it analog-o-phobes?), could chip in together here on the site and buy one to have in a sort of traveling equipment library. Perhaps a long standing member could be the keeper of the sacred Fozgometer and loan it out as other members want to use it.

How much does it cost Jeff?

Maybe a few of us die hard analog-o-philes (or is it analog-o-phobes?), could chip in together here on the site and buy one to have in a sort of traveling equipment library. Perhaps a long standing member could be the keeper of the sacred Fozgometer and loan it out as other members want to use it.

While I'm not Jeff and started the thread I can answer that question. $250 + a test record. One site I saw was selling the set together for $279 I think.

Glen

Awesome, so if we even found 10 of us interested in it, that's quite manageable. I was thinking later that the original folks in on the buy would be granted unlimited access to it in perpetuity. We could post the set up and use instructions in a sticky here on the site, as well as a running list of who has it checked out at any given time, kind of like a library card. Any new users outside of the original group could be charged a nominal fee (say $10.00) to use it. We could donate those "loaner" fee's to the site.

Thanks for answering Glen. I just didn't know if you would have the pricing information, but assumed Jeff would. BTW, when do your new speakers come in?

Awesome, so if we even found 10 of us interested in it, that's quite manageable. I was thinking later that the original folks in on the buy would be granted unlimited access to it in perpetuity. We could post the set up and use instructions in a sticky here on the site, as well as a running list of who has it checked out at any given time, kind of like a library card. Any new users outside of the original group could be charged a nominal fee (say $10.00) to use it. We could donate those "loaner" fee's to the site.

Thanks for answering Glen. I just didn't know if you would have the pricing information, but assumed Jeff would. BTW, when do your new speakers come in?

Hey Tim, that sounds like a good idea! I thought of purchasing one myself but haven't gotten over the price just yet. It's nice that my dealer will let me borrow it, but if others would like to get one for the group count me in. Also, my speakers arrived about 4 weeks ago and I have been breaking them in to get at least 200 hrs. on them. I have really enjoyed them tremendously so far and I will be posting a review shortly. Actually I wrote one the other day, but my computer crashed and now I will have to dig it out of there somehow.:sad: Thanks for asking about my speakers, it has been the bright spot of many conversations lately.:rocker:

Glen

It's like one of those Furutech Record flattners...

I bought one, but don't use it that much. I wish I could have had ten guys go in on that purchase.

BTW, if there are ten guys that want to chip in $75 each, we could start a circle on this thing. I'll get a decent case made so it will survive shipping...

BTW, if there are ten guys that want to chip in $75 each, we could start a circle on this thing. I'll get a decent case made so it will survive shipping...

I'm assuming you mean $25 each........ (x10 = $250)

Regardless I think you and Tim have a good idea.........

Fozgometer lacking

I just borrowed a Fozgometer from my dealer and it worked great!!! Here is a link: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FOSARM

Very easy to use and really dials in the azimuth setting by removing the guess work. Assuming that your arm allows for such an adjustment, this tool can be extremely helpful and claims to be accurate. It made a fairly big difference for me. I would say this is a must have if you can swing the extra money, especially if you have spent mega bucks on your cart. This will allow you to get maximum channel separation and also checks channel balance of the cart. Of course you will need a test record that contains a 1khz signal for left and then right channels, but once you have these then setup is a breeze. I do however wonder how this compares to the Feickert adjust+ program that also helps you adjust azimuth amongst other features. Does anyone know if one is more accurate than the other or have used both to compare? That would be an interesting show down!:rocker:
Glen
I wrote Steve Nakashima at Musical Surroundings: I would like to know if the Fozgometer measures the phase response as well as the channel separation when determining optimal azimuth. I use Feickert Adjust+ to measure both the phase response and the channel separation for varying azimuth angles.
Sometimes the azimuth angle for best phase response doesn't coincide with the azimuth angle for best channel separation. I would choose to use the setting that gave the best phase response in such a situation. Adjust+ also plots the measurements, which is beyond the scope of the Fozgometer.

He forwarded a reply from Fosgate:
The Fozgometer reads mostly channel levels totally indendent of phase. I do not think the phase gives a more acciurate setting of azmuth.

Chris Feickert avers that best phase response is most desirable when an azimuth angle yields different results for phase and channel separation.

The Fozgometer cannot measure and plot phase angle separately from channel separation. It doesn't do anything but give you an indication of maximum channel separation. Should the optimal azimuth setting for phase angle differ from the setting for maximal channel separation, the setting for best phase response is preferable.
Feickert Adjust+ would be ideal for measuring azimuth. Adjust+ will also let you measure the free resonance of the arm/cartridge, resonance from 30-500 Hz, frequency response, TT speed, wow and flutter, etc.
From the Adjust+ site: But this is not the complete functionality you get.
You can also measure dynamically using Pink Noise to see how your cartridge reacts under complex signals. Additionally you can measure the frequency response of your cartridge/phono-stage with Pink Noise (dynamic) or with a sine-wave sweep (static). In both cases also in left or right channel only mode. Setting up turntable speed now is an easy task as you don't need to use inaccurate strobe discs. Simply use Adjust+ and enjoy additional benefit from the built-in wow & flutter analyzer! Using the "Pro" version, you have the possibility to capture and analyze wow and flutter statistically and graphically. Last but not least, using the "Pro", you can measure THD (Total Harmonic Distortion).
You will need a PC and a decent sound card or USB sound box. I use a Samsung NC10 netbook and the E-Mu 0404 USB which makes for a one bag portable solution. An altogether better investment.

Sounds interesting, but you lost me at "You need a PC"... Now, if they'd produce a Mac version, I'd be much more interested!

Hi,

this is my first posting here and hopefully not my last one;).

Well, reading about the discussion of Fozgometer vs. A+ simply gave me the kick to register and write. To see that the Fozgometer is not taking phase response into account answers my question left open since CES earlier this year. I do not state that phase response is the ONLY value to look after but it is important to look at it as it might be the only parameter available to do proper setup of azimuth at all. For more information on my statement I recommend you read this. Latest by then it should be obvious WHY to take phase response into account. And yes, it is not so easy to extract it from the raw readings of the cartridge/tonearm/record combo. It needs some serious computing to get it.....

My apologies to tell you that there will be no Mac version of A+ in any way.....

Cheerio,

Chris

Hi Chris:

Been trying to buy your software for over a year now with no reply...

Any chance it will run on a Netbook with XP? That would be a nice compact tool. Let me know, would love to work with you!

Thank you Chris for posting on this topic. Your product looks very interesting and is on my list to try out.

Glen

Latest posts

Back