Music Hall MMF 2.2 Turntable

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinJ

Reaction score
I am looking for a turntable and came across the Music Hall MMF 2.2 . Does any on the list use this turntable?

My maximum price point for turntable is 450.00. Would I be better off looking for an older used turntable and upgrading it for the money? What other turntables should I consider at the 450.00 and below price point?

I am looking for a turntable and came across the Music Hall MMF 2.2 . Does any on the list use this turntable?

My maximum price point for turntable is 450.00. Would I be better off looking for an older used turntable and upgrading it for the money? What other turntables should I consider at the 450.00 and below price point?

The MMF 2.2 would be a great choice, as would the Pro-Ject Debut III and the Rega P2 (or it might be the P1; I forget, sorry!). I'd definately lean towards news, because unless you know the seller, you never know how badly the TT has been treated (think: bearing damage).

Ok.......not to sound like a 'broken record' but in that price range I don't like the entry level Rega's, Music Hall, ProJect's.....rather, IMO, I'd opt for a Technics 1200. You will find many(myself included) that consider it to be one of the best, if not the best, sub 1k tt out there.

I have not thought about the Technics 1200 but will take a look at it. I am looking for the best sound that I can get for a certain price. I do not mind the pun and like the idea of having different models to look at.

How about this turntable Audio Technica ATLP120 for the price $220.00 new?

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I just purchased a Techincs SL-1600 for 80.00. I wanted to upgrade the cartidge but do not want to spend a lot. Do you have a good cartidge suggestion?

The turntable is built like a tank. It is very heavy and feels like it will last a long time. You can really see how things were built before we started importing a lot of cheap things from China. I am listening to Johnny Hartman right now with John Coltane. It sounds great but I am thinking a better cartidge could really bring out the sound nice.

I just purchased a Techincs SL-1600 for 80.00. I wanted to upgrade the cartidge but do not want to spend a lot. Do you have a good cartidge suggestion? .

Wow Justin....that was quick ! Congrats !

question or two........

what are you presently using for a cartridge ? what is your present phono-pre ? Do you have a budget in mind ?

Also...what is your current procedure for cleaning your Lp's ?

The present cartridge is a Audio-Technica 3500S. I do not know if it is the original cartridge. My phono pre amp is my receiver amp which has a built in phono amp. My receiver is an Harman Kardon 3490.

I had saw the Technics in an electronic store which fixes electronics a while back and decided to purchase it after your post. I got a 90 day warranty with it, so I felt better than buying one over ebay.

LP Cleaning:

I am using a clean cotton T-Shirt. I am using dawn soap and water to get the dirt off. I just ordered a LP carbon fiber cleaning brush.

Budget:

My budget is 180.00 and down, although I might spend a little more if the sound improvement is that much better for the price.

The present cartridge is a Audio-Technica 3500S.

I'm not at all familiar with this cart Justin..........

My phono pre amp is my receiver amp which has a built in phono amp. My receiver is an Harman Kardon 3490.

This will restrict you to high output cartridges (primarily Moving magnet design), no problem , plenty of good stuff to choose from.

I had saw the Technics in an electronic store which fixes electronics a while back and decided to purchase it after your post. I got a 90 day warranty with it, so I felt better than buying one over ebay.

Good move !

LP Cleaning:

I am using a clean cotton T-Shirt. I am using dawn soap and water to get the dirt off. I just ordered a LP carbon fiber cleaning brush.

there was reason to my madness for asking this question, for the simple fact that a good cleaning regimine will yield sonic improvements that can equal or exceed a new cartridge ! Here are a couple of sites for you to puruse.....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3377.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40662.0

My budget is 180.00 and down, although I might spend a little more if the sound improvement is that much better for the price.

two suggestions (well below your 'budget', that way yo can invest a little more in cleaning gear and still have money left over to treat yourself to a couple new Lp's !) ......

Ortofon 2M 'red' - msrp - $99

Shure M97XE - msrp - $89

this but two, there are plenty more, but in the budget category I have heard these and feel they are worthy.

Good luck, glad to have you in the 'fraternity' !!

Last edited:
Dave,

Thanks for the great information.

I was looking tonight and came across the Audio Technica AT95E .

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC95E&Category_Code=A3

It seems to rate well and I've noticed that is the same cartridge on the music hall and a couple of other turntable players in the music hall price range.

I am also interested in this brand of cartridge Nagaoka MP-11 . There is also another model of cartridge by the same company at around the same price.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/mer...t_Code=NAGAOKAMP011&Category_Code=NAGAOKACART

I noticed that this company also had some of the audio technica cartridges on sale. Do you know of any of the ones on sale are worth trying out. I do not know how good this company LPGear is to use but it was a website that I was looking at. I just wanted to state this in case others were reading this thread for information.

Justin, I have no experience with LPgear but buy there 'out of the office' announcement I'd say thay are a small outfit. Maybe some of the other analog junkies here will chime in, if not I'm sure someone over @ Audiocircle or Audio Karma will know.

Regarding to two choices, again, I've never heard them but the AT95E, I am aware of it's bargin 'status' an acolades it's gotten.

Attachments

• grado_wood.jpg
    grado_wood.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 190
I have been reading up on the Denon dl160 cartridge. Has anyone on the list have experience with this cartridge?

I have been reading up on the Denon dl160 cartridge. Has anyone on the list have experience with this cartridge?

While this is a 'high output' moving coil (1.4 millivolt I think) there may not be enough gain for your phono section within your reciever, thus requiring a step-up transformer to be in place. while not the end of the world given your situation I'd stick to moving magnet / iron (usually 3 millivolt or higher output) till you 'get your feet wet' !

Latest posts

Back