Where do you set the volume on you standard Descent?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you traditionally leave the volume knob on your standard Descent sub?

• Total voters

Dominick22

Reaction score
The poll is: Where do you traditionally leave your volume knob on your standard Descent if you own one, or two, or more. This is the actual knob on the sub. If you operate the sub controls through a processor, that is fine, just post where you leave the knob on the sub itself. Please do not answer if you own a Descent i.
I am interested to see if most owners would benefit from the additional power of the Descent i.
Also, let us know if you have ever had the sub really maxed out and still felt as though it was just underpowered.

Thanks guys,
Dominick

The setting is not really indicative of how hard you are driving the sub. That in turn depends on how hard the sub is being driven and this depends on your ancillaries, connection methods, preferences, listening level et al.

I understand your point, but the overall point of this post is to see if members who are using the standard descent in their current set up would benefit from swapping with the descent i?

All factors remaining the same for your system, do you need more power?

My thoughts are that in general, most users do not need the beefed up i version. I would be surprised if someone said they had to max out their standard descent and it still was not enough bass. This will be specific to individual set ups.

For example, I leave my descent at 5 and from there, I am able to control the amount of low end response from my receiver from low to as high as I can stand at extended listening volumes. In my case, I don't think that there would be any benefit in the additional power of the i model.

Thanks for helping me clarify...

I understand your point, but the overall point of this post is to see if members who are using the standard descent in their current set up would benefit from swapping with the descent i?

Here are a couple of scenarios just off the cuff - I may or may not be missing the point, but here goes anyway.

1: You always listen at low volume levels, but like lots of bass. You turn up the sub to 10, but you never get over 60dB peak levels so why on earth do you need more power?

2: You have an ultra-sensitive amplifier, and connect your sub via your preamp. Since your amp is so sensitive, you rarely use very much volume on your preamp, so to compensate you need to turn the volume level on the sub up more.

2a: Conversely, if you have a very insensitive amplifier you will obviously need to really turn up the wick on your preamp. You'll need to turn the sub level right down to compensate.

Latest posts

Back