What phono stages are you using and why did you pick that one?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
With the vinyl renaissance upon us, it seems that new phono stages are cropping up in epidemic if not pandemic fashion. They vary from the minimalist (Lehmann cube) to the maximalist (Boulder) and at all points in between. As an unregenerate vinyl junkie, currently listenng to Ian and Sylvia's eponymous first album, it would be interesting to hear from others out there who are likewise afflicted by this condition.
1. What phono stage (or stages) are you currently using?
2. What made you pick that one (those ones)?
3. Are you planning to change phono stages in the near future, and if so, which ones are you considering?
Looking forward to hearing from the ML owners community.

I'm using an Aesthetix Rhea and I bought it for a couple of reasons. I'd been a fan of Jim White for a number of years dating back to when he was at Theta. I knew from listening to Aesthetix higher end products that I loved the sound, but I also knew I couldn't affort the price of admission. When the Rhea came out I figured I could finally afford a real Aesthetix product. I love the user flexibility - the fact that I can load it on the fly from across the room so that I can actually hear the effect from my listening seat. It has enough gain for literally any cartridge, and even though it uses a LOT of tubes it's quiet as a tomb yet offers all of the bloom and musicality you want from a great tubed pre-amp. I couldn't be happier with it and have no regrets what so ever after having owned it now for about 7 years.

Attachments

• Rhea2.jpg
    Rhea2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 964
I'm using a BAT VK-P5 and love it. Luckily, I've never heard a more expensive phono pre in my system, so I don't know what I may be missing. I can only say that, to my ears, the BAT sounds like music. I also like the build quality and the upgrade path. I have no desire to purchase another phono pre at the current time.

Main Phono Pre is the Nagra VPS with VFS platform and now Red Wine Audio Black Lightning power supply.

Main reasons for choosing this has been two inputs and exceptional synergy with the rest of my system. As is typical for Nagra tube gear, it is fairly neutral, with just a drop of warmth, which is my favorite kind of sound.

Built like a tank and only two tubes, which isn't too much tube hassle.

Now with adding the Black Lightning, it's gone to being solid state quiet as well.

Using the Naim Superline with HighCap 2 elsewhere in the system and debating whether to grab a Supercap for the Naim, or get the new Boulder 1008, which I have in for review and is proving to be outstanding. Solid state, huge dynamics, CD quiet, good synergy with the Burmester stuff AND two inputs as well, so between this and the Nagra could keep my three tables (and whatever's in for review) all going at the same time.

Belles 20A Phono
Tried a few others and wound up with this, it just worked

I own two...a Rega IOS and a Lehman Black Cube SE. I have both because Tonepub recommended them. Thanks Jeff!

Meridian 101 pre-amp with MM red phono card. I also have a Linn Asak MC card (it's in a box somewhere) ;) (Bought it in 1979)

I use it becuase I'm too cheap to buy a new one. Besides, my current TT is a Project Basic with Grado FE2+, so at this point, I'm sure the Meridian is not my limiting factor.

The TT upgrade is on my two year plan, so I may change phono stages at that time.

Chuck

I am using a ModWright SWP 9.0SE Tube Phono Stage. (Thanks Jeff) It works really well and I do like the tube sound and dynamics I get from it. I had an NAD PP-2 before so this was a huge jump.

Jeff:cool:

Quicksilver (Mike Sanders) phono stage. Affordable unit that got a good review from John Zurek, Positive Feedback isue 24.

Tj

I use a Juicy Music Tercel. I heard a freinds Juciy Music Blueberry pre w/phono that I really liked. Later Juicy Music took the phono section and made it it's own pre (the Tercel). A different friend brought a Tercel over for an audio meet and again I liked it. So I bought one for myself. Just seems to click in my system, synergy, if you will. Nice clean music without coloration.

tercel_1265342052_60.jpg

Ayre P-5xe; cheapest SS phono I could find that offers goosebump-raising and chillingly realistic presentation with the right ancillaries and most types of music, including big orchestral that I listen to. Not so good with choruses. One of the very few that supports true balanced-in (and -out), as I think phono should be run. Bettered by more expensive units like a VPS. May consider the Boulder 1008 in the future (also balanced in and out). I don't do tubes.

Last edited:
I am using a modified ARC SP9 Mk II.

I arrived at it via the usual circuitous route: Crown IC 150, then a PS Audio IV, then a CJ Premier 6/PV3, then finally I borrowed a used SP9 and it sounded so much better, so I bought a Mk II. I would like to upgrade to an ARC Phono Ref 2 and Reference 5, but (lack of) funds do not permit the purchase at this time.

Funny story: While I had the Crown (and Quad 57s at that time) I borrowed a Klyne SK2a head amp, and that combination with a Supex cartridge in a Thorens TD160 sounded truly magical, and I never forgot that. At the time the Klyne was too expensive for me, so I did not buy it, and always regretted that. Then a few years ago I picked up the Klyne off Audiogon for the same number of dollars as I would have paid for it new, expecting that same magic, especially since I had much superior components (VPI/ARC/Koetsu/ML), but never heard that same magic again. I sold the Klyne on Audiogon, fortunately for more than I had paid for it.

I use a Juicy Music Tercel. I heard a freinds Juciy Music Blueberry pre w/phono that I really liked. Later Juicy Music took the phono section and made it it's own pre (the Tercel).
Hopefully it won't get recalled like so many Toyotas !

What are those light-blue things around the tubes on the right? Some form of tube dampers?

Hopefully it won't get recalled like so many Toyotas !

What are those light-blue things around the tubes on the right? Some form of tube dampers?

Yes, those are Herbie's Audio Lab tube dampers. I don't know that they are really needed. I had them from a old pre that had microphonic tubes, where they worked very well.

Yes, those are Herbie's Audio Lab tube dampers.
The ones on the right look like the newer Pre-Amp Tube Dampers from Herbie's Audio (soft pads). The one on the left looks like the older "sleeve" versions (harder pad with outer sleeve). Both work great, but each model depends on the setup and the sound you are looking for. Steve offers 30 day trial to return if you do not like it. I use a combination of both versions in my rig.

My Jeff Rowland Consonance came with a built in phono stage that must be pretty decent, because I have had offers from other JR owners to buy just the phone stage module.

Pre-Amp: GRAAF WFB One
tube with tube phono section

Link with info/pictures:
http://www.graaf.it/wfboneeng.htm
The sound coming from the turntable is more natural and pure thanks to the phono section which uses a particular input configuration "cascade" and SRPP (shunt-regulated push-pull). This circuit is made up of two PC900 (4HA5) low noise single triodes and a part of the 6922 double triode, followed by a passive R1AA and by the other part of the 6922 used in buffered configuration. This allows a low output impedance to be obtained.
wfboneinthi.jpg

I would like to do a side by side with something else, been told the phono section is very very good. It sure sounds good to me.

i'm using a Museatex phono as designed by Ed Meitner. real nice vintage piece and sounds incredible. i like the museatex sound, and had used their original pre-amp (the PA-6) for years the last few for the phono section only. i've now replaced the PA-6 with the Museatex phono. i have a second one for the downstairs system. They only made about 30 of them and i have two. heh heh heh.

1. What phono stage (or stages) are you currently using?

Audio Research PH3

2. What made you pick that one (those ones)?

Company reputation for tube units. Never really auditioned it but purchased it on a whim used on the Gon. Price was right and it was light years better than the aged phono section I was using out of the Phase Linear pre-amp (which is long retired and now just a museum piece on the shelf).

3. Are you planning to change phono stages in the near future, and if so, which ones are you considering?

Yes I am considering upgrading, most likely to a ARC PH5 or PH7. This will happen before or after I upgrade the turntable as well. I am looking at a VPI Aries III with the 10.5i tonearm or a VPI SuperScout Master - on the used market.

I traded in my ARC PH3SE on a ARC PH5. Significant upgrade in sound plus remote control of loading, mute, etc. Saving my pennies for a PH7. I love the current gen ARC stuff because it soundstages and images like a bitch and is less lean and bright than earlier generations. Matches my ARC Ref 3 in tonality and in looks.

Last edited:
Back