toobie newbie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all -- As some of you probably know - I purchased a Cary slp98 awhile back and have asked some questions on tubes for it etc.... Have heard and read several recommendations for the 6sn7 chinese replacements... My question is simply this -- I can go to a dealer, but I am a total idiot when it comes to tubes. I don't know what I am looking at quite frankly. I see some rca 6sn7s for little money and others for much more. Is there a way for me to find a deal out there - or is it hopeless and I am stuck with just paying high dollar amounts for new tubes?

I have heard good things about the following 6sn7 tubes: Sylvania/RCA/Raytheon/Pope ... Anyone care to comment on the sonic signature of these tubes?

I have read people using them in mixed pairs (i.e. Sylvanias in the front sockets of the pre and Raytheons in the rear sockets)..

I also know that the tubes come with other letters following them (GT as an example (guessing that stands for 'glass tube??') - Is this a different tube...rated differently etc than say another 6sn7 that does not have a GT designation??

Thanks for your help. This will probably be my tweak for 2010....

The GT might be Groove Tube. From what I've read they may come off the same Russian production lines, perhaps graded to a higher or different specification.

http://www.groovetubes.com/
rating.jpg

I used a Tung-Sol 6sn7 input tube in my power amp, I suppose it has a similar sonic signature to its bigger brothers. Very dynamic, very detailed, powerful bass, extended treble with a midrange not as far forward as others.

My Full Review:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10158

Some names I've read good things are the old Mullards, Gold Lions and Winged-C's, but I was looking at power tubes.

My preamp has no 6sn7 in it, however the tubes are a collection of NOS Reflector's, Mullard's, and Sovetek's. Sections (line, phono) are all the same brand, no mixing.

Last edited:
Hi all -- As some of you probably know - I purchased a Cary slp98 awhile back and have asked some questions on tubes for it etc.... Have heard and read several recommendations for the 6sn7 chinese replacements... My question is simply this -- I can go to a dealer, but I am a total idiot when it comes to tubes. I don't know what I am looking at quite frankly. I see some rca 6sn7s for little money and others for much more. Is there a way for me to find a deal out there - or is it hopeless and I am stuck with just paying high dollar amounts for new tubes?

I have heard good things about the following 6sn7 tubes: Sylvania/RCA/Raytheon/Pope ... Anyone care to comment on the sonic signature of these tubes?

I have read people using them in mixed pairs (i.e. Sylvanias in the front sockets of the pre and Raytheons in the rear sockets)..

I also know that the tubes come with other letters following them (GT as an example (guessing that stands for 'glass tube??') - Is this a different tube...rated differently etc than say another 6sn7 that does not have a GT designation??

Thanks for your help. This will probably be my tweak for 2010....

Call Kevin @ this place. Great knowledge and very helpful. You won't get ripped-off either.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/

Hey timm,

I just ordered a set (4) of CBS 5692 "Zalytron" platinum grade tubes from Upscale Audio. I'm replacing the RCA 6SN7's that I've had for a little over a year in my Cary SLP 98P. I'm starting to get a slight bit of distortion on certain notes. After tapping lightly on the tubes, I think it's the RCA 6SN7's. I may be wrong, but I think I've eliminated just about everything else. But what do I know, I'm just a bass player... :)

Ray

Hey timm,

I just ordered a set (4) of CBS 5692 "Zalytron" platinum grade tubes from Upscale Audio. I'm replacing the RCA 6SN7's that I've had for a little over a year in my Cary SLP 98P. I'm starting to get a slight bit of distortion on certain notes. After tapping lightly on the tubes, I think it's the RCA 6SN7's. I may be wrong, but I think I've eliminated just about everything else. But what do I know, I'm just a bass player... :)

Ray

hey let me know how they sound... I thought you had the RCA's - what are the new ones suposed to do that the RCAs did not? Jeez I love our pre-amp - don't you??? :) and I have talked to kevin before - when I was looking for a pre initially - was considering the primaluna but found a mis-match in the impedence between that and my sunfire.... hence the cary - and I think a much better choice. But, I did not get it from Kevin, so I would have to pay the 'other' price on the tubes...

dude, don't tap on your tubes while they are on, that's the fastest way to blow em out!

Kevin's a good guy and will take good care of you.

If you can get either the Sylvania or RCA 6SN7's you should be set for a long time, those are very long life tubes....

I've had nothing but good luck and fantastic sound with this preamp. Hey Jeff, I didn't tap hard, just enough to hear wazzup... You guys know how careful I am with my scientific approach to these delicate matters... R.

I just want to say - I love this forum...and I really appreciate you guys putting up with my repetitive questions sometimes... I got a ticket yesterday and was grumbling this morning - and then I thought about the possibility of getting some new tubes and tweaking my system a bit ... and I got a big grin... I'd love to figure a way to just do stereo stuff everyday - how cool would that be?

So, I hear some repetition which is RCA or Sylvania tubes....so, at some point in the future (when my wife stops buying shoes???) - I will got to an expert (probably Kevin) to give me some advice - and get the dope...

Maybe I could get the city to revoke the ticket because I need money for tubes?? You think I could get that to fly?

Here are some suggestions to buy tubes from. These people have received great feedback from many audio folks and will work with you on your needs, budget and equipment being used in.

Jim McShane - http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/tubes.htm
Brent Jesse - http://www.tubeworld.com
Andy ? - http://vintagetubeservices.com/
Kevin Deal - http://www.upscaleaudio.com/
Ian Grant - http://grantfidelity.com/

All of these people will work with you, find out your needs, be able to discuss what each type of tube will give you plus and minus, and ultimately make you a satisfied customer

Grant Fidelity is a company now dealing with new production tubes called TJ Full Music. The 12AX7's have receieved some great reviews, but I cannot comment on the 6SN7's. Drop a note to them and I am sure they will help you out. They are great people to deal with. The TJ Full Music are current production tubes instead of NOS with their prices and ending supply.

Last edited:
All the advice is good here. I think Dan (DTB300) listed a good place to start for tubes. You need to understand one thing (of many) about tubes. I am not if it has been discussed here in this thread or elsewhere but tubes like cables to their own varying degree will offer different sonic signatures to your system. The tubes you have in your system which may be been the original is what the designer based the sonic signature of you equipment so changing them may change the sonic characteristic of your "sound". Some do it and some do not. There are positives and negatives to this. Some may give you the needed high end with the cost of losing something somewhere else, no audible change or sound like crap. This is why you ask as many people you can, ask people who have done this before and and ask the reputable people who sell tubes. You will know when you have found what you are looking for.

As always, it is journey make it a fun one without the neurotic obsession or simply put, just enjoy the ride, your equipment, the music and smile.

Jeff:cool:

As always, it is a journey, make it a fun one without the neurotic obsession
Tube rolling can get you into a constant search for the "perfect" tube, or as Jeff put it - neurotic obsession. Try some new production, try some NOS, see what you like for what you can afford.

Well - you guys know how it goes right??? Last night I was listening to my system to the wee hours of the morning - listening to this album by david sanborn called 'Inside' - well - it was incredible - the depth... the soundstage, the fullness of the sax, clarinet and xylophone that knocked my sox off.... and then I wonder... can this get better??? :) and all this with some chinese 6sn7s ....This is a disease...but I love it!!!

"Zaytron" ... Shazaaam!

Replaced the old RCA 6SN7's in the Cary SLP 98P last night. I put in 4 Platinum Grade CBS Brown Base Zaytron Branded 6SN7/5692's. That solved the distortion problem that was getting really bad. Schaweeet!!! :D

Last edited:
Replaced the old RCA 6SN7's in the Cary SLP 98P last night. I put in 4 Platinum Grade CBS Brown Base Zaytron Branded 6SN7/5692's. That solved the distortion problem that was getting really bad. Schaweeet!!! :D

satch -- compare to your rca's -- uh prior to the distortion... of course....

Hey timm,

It's kinda tough to compare the tubes because of other tweaks going on when the RCA's started to go south on me. One of the things I did was filling the gap between floors with about 35 bails of natural fiber blow in insulation. That made a huge change in the bass response so I made a bunch of tweaks with the Depth i sub and room treatments. Just an uneducated guess on the difference between the RCA's and the CBS's, I think the CBS's are a little stronger in the middle and the RCA's a little warmer. Both sound excellent with the Cary SLP 98P.

Satch

Hey timm,

It's kinda tough to compare the tubes because of other tweaks going on when the RCA's started to go south on me. One of the things I did was filling the gap between floors with about 35 bails of natural fiber blow in insulation. That made a huge change in the bass response so I made a bunch of tweaks with the Depth i sub and room treatments. Just an uneducated guess on the difference between the RCA's and the CBS's, I think the CBS's are a little stronger in the middle and the RCA's a little warmer. Both sound excellent with the Cary SLP 98P.

Satch

Thanks -- I find the 'trick' with this tube addiction is that - for myself at least - I have a tendency to look for a definitive 'best' - and it would seem like there would be an answer out there... But, there really isn't because it is all personal taste etc.... I consider myself having limited funds - so, of course I am always looking for info and opinions etc.... Here is something I found where we have people giving comparsons of the different tubes etc... quite a few 6sn7s listed here -- If you haven't seen it - scroll down a bit and people start giving explanations of the different sonic qualities of the tubes... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/reference-6sn7-thread-117677/

Yikes, That's a lot of info...

Did you ever come across any comparisons of the phono section of the Cary SLP 98P to other phono preamps?

Yikes, That's a lot of info...

Did you ever come across any comparisons of the phono section of the Cary SLP 98P to other phono preamps?

I have seen conflicting reports on the phono section on audioasylum... I had someone tell me that the phono section is stupendous - and I have seen other posts where posters claim it is 'ok'... I know the impedence is 47K and Cary recommends - I think - something at least 4.1 mv?? So you either have to go with a moving magnet or high output moving coil cart.... Did you change your 12ax7/12au7s???

as far as that link -- go down to where it says 6sn7 reference list (about 1/4 down the page) - scroll a little further - and you will start seeing user comments on the tube characteristics.....

Back