Rumble question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Questy

Reaction score
For some strange reason, I have ONE album in my new collection that generates rumble at an average volume. This record is the only one that does that and I would like to know why from those that are veterans of the vinyl hobby!:confused::confused::confused:

Rumble in the Vinyl

For some strange reason, I have ONE album in my new collection that generates rumble at an average volume. This record is the only one that does that and I would like to know why from those that are veterans of the vinyl hobby!:confused::confused::confused:

Low frequency rumble is commonly caused by warp although feedback from speakers to turntable can also produce low frequency distortion. If your turntable is near your speakers, you might considering moving it or placing it on an isolation base if it cannot be moved. If this record is the only one that does this, then there is probably not a problem with your turntable isolation, tonearm or cartridge. There are record flattening devices out there which will cure warp and run about $2000.00. If your tonearm has the ability to be damped (usually this involves a trough that can be filled with viscous fluid), this may reduce the excursions that lead to rumble.
Hope this helps

More info re: the record would be nice. Still, if this is the only album that does this than maybe the rumble is cut into the album, an admittedly rare but not unheard of occurrence.

My table is on a wall shelf and very well isolated but yes this is the only record I have encountered this problem so far! I find this odd!

I don't have a very expensive table like some of you here as I am new to vinyl but it is a Pro-Ject debut iii with an updated cartridge, speed box and acrylic platter. Sounds great except on this LP!

The record spins flat and does not appear warped and is new. Probably just poor quality even though it does sound good just can't put the volume very high at all!

I have ONE album in my new collection that generates rumble at an average volume.

Guess what: You have ONE album in your collection that generates rumble at an average volume.

:D

Just teasing, I've never had that problem with an LP. Had a few compact cassettes and VHS tapes which acted weird on me.

It's possible that this rumble occures in your system frequency and depending on Q value resonance can be considerably higher in level than in some other system with the same record. Off-center pressing can also wake up unwanted resonances.

My vinyl copy of Skip James "Today" has a low freq. rumble in a few of the songs and those same songs that are on a compilation CD also rumble. I think it was picked up when it was first recorded. Some of the foot tapping on a hollow stage is picked up and it comes across as a rumble. If I turn off my Depth i, it's barely noticeable.

Latest posts

Back