Pro-ject Debut iii

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
I walked into best buy yesterday - and they had one of these. I was quite surprised. Had it set up in their listening room -- didn't have a chance to listen ... but was wondering about this table. It looked quite nice actually. Anyone have any info on it? I have seen some nice reviews of it. My last TT was a thorens td 145...a long time ago.... the project comes with an ortofon om5e??? cartridge... How far up the food chain would you go with a table like this - as far as cartridges go? anyway - interested in your opinions of this table.. thx tim.

I own a pro-ject xpression iii and its a very nice table I almost bought the one you are looking at but I thought the upgrades to the expression warranted the extra money. I think for the money you really can not go wrong they make nice sounding tables that are quite and seem to have a snappy sound.

so - I have an old (some people say 'vintage') Philips 777 turntable. Do you think the pro-ject debut would give much of an improvement in sound?

well - that would be cool... I'll tell you, right now it sounds pretty good - I got crazy tonight and purchased my first new album for the first time in about 25 years... Dave Mathews -- Big Whiskey & the Groo Grux King... It is a single album o double vinyl... It sounded very very good... I have the cd as well - and will do an a/b tomorrow just for fun... but, I could see how this could be very addictive...It was nice sitting there reading the album lyrics with the album cover in hand tonight....don't know much about that ortofon cartridge that comes with it .. I saw a shure m97ed on amazaon for 60 bucks with a list of 140...-- anyone know the differences in the sonic signature between the 2? I used to have a shure m91ed (think that was it) and an audio technica cartridge that I thought was a slight step up from the shure....and jeez do those vpi turntables look cool.....uggghhh.... I need to make more money - maybe I'll dump this permanent job and go back into consulting....

one other thing that I thought this forum would find amusing... this all started because I got a 100 dollar gift card from amazon ... thought ...hmmm maybe I'll buy an ipod... then I saw this pro-ject TT which was in the same price range and looked pretty sweet....how is that for going back and forth between heaven and hell??? :)

... this all started because I got a 100 dollar gift card from amazon ... thought ...hmmm maybe I'll buy an ipod... then I saw this pro-ject TT which was in the same price range and looked pretty sweet....how is that for going back and forth between heaven and hell??? :)

Good choice!:D

Glen

I go online to check out the specs on this old cartridge I have -- It is a Bang & Olufson MMC 4. I guess they are trying to sell them for 499 dollars now??? I know this cartridge did not cost that much when I bought it - and my audio technica beat it hands down (think it was the M95??? it was green...)

So - given all of this - here is what I find. Seems like the low end is great - high end is smooth - but sometimes the mids get a little jumbled. Think that was the diff between this and my old thorens setup if I remember correctly (less jumble in the mids - which made it sound more open). I compared the CD - and this is a good sounding cd as well. Drums on the TT sound fuller/rounder... there is more space and seperation between instruments on the cd - voices sound a little thinner on the cd as does acoustic guitar. btw - I have a denon 5900 universal that I am playing cds on for the comparison. Not best of the best - but no slouch either.

Latest posts

Back