classical pressings and labels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISH_MAN

Reaction score
I have noticed that the sound of classical recordings varies greatly depending on the label that produced it very much more than other genres. I was just wondering what labels you all prefer? deutsche grammophon, victrola, and so on?

My opinion only, but I havent' found they vary so much by label, but vary very much generally.

Deutsche Grammophon is certainly a higher-quality label, but I've heard some not-so-good ones from them as well. Perhaps due to venue?

I think it comes down to the environment more than other genres of music.

That said, I do like Telarc classical recordings!

I'd say that the RCA "Shaded Dogs" and Mercury "Living Presence" recordings are regarded by most as among the best. You'll pay handsomely for originals if you can even find them, but Classic Records and others have done a great job of re-issuing the most important (for recording quality and performance)recordings from the back catalog. I've got some great King Super Analogs, Harmonia Mundi's, Decca's and some CBS Masterworks that are all pretty good. Telarc's are usually quite good as Adam mentions, and if you can find them some of the older Sheffields and Reference Records are pretty astounding. As a side bar, I was talking to the folks from Reference Records at RMAF and they are planning to start pressing new vinyl in 2010.

You can find good sounding recordings on a vast number of labels, Accent, Argo, Decca, London, DG, L'Oiseau-Lyre, Harmonia Mundi, Everest, Westminster, Vanguard, and of course the audiophile labels like Sheffield, Telarc, Reference Recordings and such. I would say not to worry so much about sound and find performances you like. YMMV

Latest posts

Back