System #01 (Summit, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
1. Member Name: Tom D.
2. Location: Rancho Mirage, CA USA
3. ML Model(s): Summit & Cinema
4. Year Purchased: 2008, 2003
5. Mods/Changes: Speltz Anti-jumpers

6. Associated Electronics:
  • Anthem Statement D2 Pre/Pro with ARC
  • Pass Labs X5 Power Amplifier
  • Belkin PureAV Silver Series speaker cables
  • AudioQuest King Cobra Interconnects (XLR)
  • Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 feeding into PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
  • Oppo BDP-83 BluRay / SACD / CD / DVD player
  • DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expander
  • Hughes HD DirecTV Digital Network Recorder (TIVO)
  • LG 55LE8500 55" LED TV
  • Klipsch Quintet Surrounds (not shown)
  • Panamax M5300-PM Power Conditioner
  • OmniMount Cosmic Video Stand
  • OmniMount Cosmic Audio Tower
  • VTI Amp Stand

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

After 16 years with a pair of Sequels which I purchased new in early 1988, I finally upgraded to a bigger and better Logan - a very nice black pair of reQuests (purchased in 2003, sold in 2008) I bought from a gentleman on Audiogon who was the original owner, having purchased them in 2000.

Big difference in overall sound between the Sequels and reQuests. Bass was much tighter and seamless and the overall sound is much fuller.

A trip to ML to hear the new CLX changed all of that and I came home to my system and found it lacking in something. The CLX's are out of my price range, so I started looking for a pair of NEW Summits. ML had just discontinued the Summit and were preparing to release the Summit X, so ML Dealers were marking down their remaining inventory and I got a nice price quote from two different dealers and was about to pull the trigger when Joey V on the site announced that he was going to sell all of his gear, including his Summits. We struck a deal for me to buy them and the rest is history.

Update: April 2009
Added PS Audio Digital Link III DAC for Squeezebox

Update: June 2009
Added Pass Labs X5
Removed Denon AVR 4800
Added Anthem Statement D2 Pre/Pro

Update: Oct 2009
Added Oppo BDP-83 BluRay/CD/SACD/DVD player
Removed Sony DVP-NC80V DVD/CD/SACD player/changer

Update: Dec 2014
Removed Pass Labs X250. Using X5 to drive all channels.

Click HERE to see the historical photos of my system over the years.

Attachments

• system2014_1.JPG
    system2014_1.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 2,077
  • system2014_2.JPG
    system2014_2.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 2,133
  • system2014_3.JPG
    system2014_3.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 2,066
Last edited:
Awsome

Tom,
I must say your system looks very nice,bet it sounds fantastic! :)

Statman said:
Tom,
I must say your system looks very nice,bet it sounds fantastic! :)
As I get more and more into home theater, I'm listening to my system less and less for 2 channel audio. I got a new TV for Xmas and need to get a new set of rear speakers... Hmmm.. what kind should I get? :)

I'm leaning towards ML Frescos.

Anyway, I'll need to get a new photo up there.

Tom.

Very sweet setup (aren't reQuests just awesome!), and now with the addition of a shiny new TV (and soon some rear surrounds) you've got yourself one killer Home Theater. Looking forward to the new pix. Enjoy!

SV

Hey Tom,

Like I said before, sweet system!! But I STILLLLLLLL miss the neon Gumby :)

Question:
How did you get your pic to display at the very top?

Looks like everyone else has their only after all the text. tell us your secret!!

I have the Neon Gumby in our spare bedroom. It doesn't get used much anymore... I should probably put it up on Ebay.

;)

I posted my system using HTML which is more versatile and allowed me to position my picture at the top.

Tom.

Still simple and beautiful... :)

TomDac said:
I'm leaning towards ML Frescos.

Great choice, Tom! :)

It's amazing to see how the Frescos can be coherent with traditional ESL ML speakers, when you see how much different they are in a technical point of view.

TheBobGoat said:
Tom, what kind of new TV did you get ?
50" Sony Grand Wega HDTV Rear projection LCD... I'm without a digital camera at the moment, but will update my photo when I get one.

Tom.

Finally got a new camera and updated my photos of my system. TV is new (Xmas 2004) and Teac X1000R is out of my system.

Tom

You have a far-out, cool, great looking and I'll bet great sounding system.
I just think your, "Omimount Audio Tower", is the Bee's Knees and the Cat's Meow!!! Great minds do think alike....
Thanks for your kind words regarding my System #57, I appreciate it... It is kinda funny though, my designated, ML Club system number is, '57'... and I was born in 1957... They made cool, Chevy's then too...,wouldn't you agree?

-Robin

3bx

Have not seen one of those in a while {I have the 4bx and wondering if I will like it with the Summits.} The Dynamic range capability always seemed to soften the voice to a more natural presentation. From mix to mix it was always quicker to expand the dynamic range to compensate for the recording. personal preference for all things but I am curious - how often do you use the 3bx? 0-100%
Thanks !

Hi Greg,

I've had the 3BX forever and of course it seemed to have more of an effect with analaog recordings than digital. I do occasionally use it on older CDs that were made from a not so good recording. It's a piece of nostalga that I'm not ready to give up yet. :)

New Photos...

Took out the McIntosh MCD205 and replaced it with my Squeezebox and then took some new photos. I can't say enough how happy I am with the Squeezebox. :)

Very sweet looking setup Tom. Have you considered getting another Carver amp for the woofers? Also, what's the purpose for the DBX 3BX?

I think I'd rather just let the Denon continue to power the woofers until I do another upgrade which will be probably a Sunfire Cinema Signature to power everything... Not sure when that will be.

The 3BX is a Dynamic Range expander.. It's hooked to a tape loop so I can put it into the signal path at the touch of a button.. It was more useful when I had my reel-to-reel and turntable, but I found that it helps put a little bit of PUNCH into MP3s coming from the Squeezebox.

Here's a thread that explains how the 3BX works:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32240

Back